Dr. Bob on January 20th, 2009
Your nickname is “Olde Fart”
- Because the small intestine of a person with celiac disease is damaged, undigested food enters the large intestines where bacteria convert it into gases (methane, carbon dioxide and hydrogen). These gases cause the bloating, abdominal pain and passing of gas that is often associated with celiac disease.
- Some people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity suffer cognitive impairment. Forgetfulness (amnesia) and confusion can increase. If so, stay away from multitasking!
- Celiac disease is associated with gluten ataxia which causess a loss of balance and coordination. Learning new dance steps can help regain your balance, so don’t give up.
You can’t use chopsticks either
- Gluten ataxia can cause your hands to tremble. Use heavy utensils instead.
Your headaches are on one side of your head
- Some people with celiac disease experience migraine headaches. For some, strict adherence to a gluten free diet reduces the incidence of migraines.
- There is that gluten ataxia again.
- Mayo Clinic: Celiac disease
- National Foundation for Celiac Awareness: What is celiac disease?
- Wikipedia: Coelica disease